Over the years we’ve received many emails inquiring about bilingual, specifically Spanish language, storytime resources. Though I grew up in California and took over four years of Spanish in high school I don’t program in Spanish in my current job. But that doesn’t stop the librarian in me from wanting to do the research! I’ve compiled all of the websites, books, and songs I could find on this topic. If you know of something I missed, please leave a comment so I can add it in! I view this post as a living document that will constantly be updated as new resources become available.
Looking for languages other than Spanish? Dana wrote a guide to Multilingual Storytimes.
- Bilingual Storytime at Your Biblioteca – Register now! Runs November 5 – 30th, 2018
- Infopeople’s Survival Spanish for Library Staff – Includes online workbook and audio tracks
Professional Development Books
- Once Upon a Cuento: Bilingual Storytimes in English and Spanish by Jamie Campbell Naidoo and Katie Scherrer
- Every Child Ready to Read® @ your Library® Toolkit for Spanish-Speaking Communities by ALSC
- Dígame un cuento / Tell Me A Story: Bilingual Library Programs for Children and Families by Elida Guardia Bonet, Paola Ferate-Soto, Josefina Rodriguez-Gibbs, Nohemi Lopez and Maricela Moreyra-Torres (available for free online!)
- ¡Hola, amigos! A Plan for Latino Outreach by Susana G. Baumann
- ¡Bienvenidos! ¡Welcome!: A Handy Resource Guide for Marketing Your Library to Latinos by Susannah Mississippi Byrd
- The Bilingual Book of Rhymes, Songs, Stories and Fingerplays: Over 450 Spanish/English Selections by by Pam Schiller and Rafael Lara-Alecio
All of the webinars listed here are free.
- Bilingual Storytimes: Reaching Through the Language Barrier
- Before Bilingual Storytime: The Outreach Bridge to Engaging Latino and Spanish-speaking Families
- Bilingual Storytimes: Building Early Literacy and Community
- Planning, Doing, and Sustaining a Successful Bilingual Storytime
Songs and Rhyme Videos
- K Librarian: YouTube channel with storytime songs in Spanish by a Youth Services Librarian
- StoryBlocks in Spanish: Part of the Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy project featuring song and rhyme videos
- Washington County Rimas in Espanol: A playlist of 31 videos of rhymes and songs in Spanish
- Alina Celeste: YouTube channel with songs for kids in Spanish
- Burnaby Public Library’s Spanish songs and rhymes: Song and rhyme videos part of the Embracing Diversity project
- Basho and Friends: Original content by performer and educator Basho
- Bilingual Resources by Utah State Library: Includes sample scripts and tips for bilingual storytime
- Reforma: Bilingual Storytime Resources
- Earlier is Easier in Spanish: Includes excellent information about early literacy development in Spanish
- Colorin Colorado: A bilingual site for educators and families with English language learners
- Every Child Ready to Read Spanish Video Clips in Spanish: Early literacy tips in Spanish
- Latinxs in Kid Lit: Includes reviews of books written and illustrated by Latinxs
- Spanish Resources from Saroj Ghoting: Includes handouts for parents and lots of other good early literacy resources
- Es Divertido: A blog where people share books and songs for bilingual storytime
- Miss Mary Liberry – Mary is a children’s librarian who shares ideas for Spanish Storytime
- Kid approved themes for Spanish and bilingual storytimes
- Titles for a Tune-Filled Bilingual Storytime
- Bilingual Storytime: What Is It? How Do I Do It? Will Anyone Come?
- Bilingual Storytime Resources: Holly wrote a blog post with a bunch of different resources, including her own storytime plans. You can also see her songs and rhymes.
- ¡Bienvenidos! Outreach and Publicity for Spanish Speakers
- Hispanic Heritage Month Music and Movement Program
Please feel free to leave a comment with advice, tips, or resources related to running a bilingual storytime program! If you know of resources for bilingual storytimes in languages other than Spanish and English let me know and I’ll create a separate section at the end of the post for those.